In my previous posts, I wrote about writers' vs readers' needs on the 200wad platform, and mapped out the features to each of the needs. Today, I thought it'll be interesting to brainstorm some ideas and map them to the user needs it addresses:
As a writer, I need/want to (+new ideas to address it):
✍️ Write regularly so that I can get better at it. (Need for mastery)
- More advanced writing tools like Grammarly or Blurt might make the writing experience even more delightful and productive, while also helping us be better writers (isn't this the point of 200wad?).
- Add more tools under Tools tab on Home page - Chrome extensions like Grammarly, writing tools that others use, best practices/habits for writing, posts from other writers that helps with writing better, resources from the internet
- Writing buddies to mentor or review each other to get better
✍️ Get feedback/reviews from other writers so that I can get better at it. (Need for mastery)
- Have more data/analytics to give us feedback on the quality of writing, how the posts performed, and how we can improve as writers
- Some sort of karma system like Stack Overflow where one is incentivised to leave a review for another. @Arcticloon talked a bit here about giving and taking.
✍️ Get timely reminders to write so that I don't forget to. (Need for salience)
- Phone/email reminders that we can set so that we don't lose our streak? Sometimes busyness gets the better of us and we forget. Would love to have a way to be reminded before the streak ends, preferably nagging us to get it done till we do.
- Timezone streak windows so that it's easier to remember when it opens and closes (on roadmap already it seems!)
- Writing buddies to remind each other
✍️ Sustain motivation to write through public accountability (Extrinsic need)
- Having a way to declare intentions and goals (e.g. 200 days of 200 words per day) and having a way to log and track it, while being reminded to be accountable (either by human or software). This can show on our Profile page.
- Writing buddies to make each other accountable
✍️ Have fun using this platform, so that I enjoy using it and continue writing. (Need for play/fun)
- Gamifying streaks with different 'badges' for different levels. I also loved how video games make it so satisfying to level up. Unlocking achievements/extra features will be fun!
- Celebrate continued efforts in writing and growing in mastery of it (a 200wad writer's score perhaps? Or achieving Bronze/Silver/Gold standards in writing?)
✍️ Get affirmation from other writers so that I feel a sense of recognition. (Self-esteem needs)
- Community awards ala Product Hunt?
✍️ Socialise (through comments and sharing) with other writers/readers in order to feel a sense of belonging. (Social need)
- Events like #topicoftheweek are really fun and engaging as it's something we can come together to do as a collective. I love to engage more with the community in a meaningful, mindful way that contributes to serving the needs mentioned above, and that doesn't feel distracting or overwhelming (1k messages a day on some chat platform?! No please!).
- Write-athons, or events in the spirit of the24hrstartup where we come together to write something BIG/CRAZY.
- Being able to look back at my comments history in others' posts and also a history of comments others made on my posts.
Any other crazy ideas? Let's brainstorm!