When starting to freelance, you have a choice to make: Will you work on a platform (like Upwork or Fivrr) or do it alone?
I decided on Upwork ... for now. But I keep thinking of the pros and cons of both options.
PLATFORM (like Upwork or Fivrr)
- Plenty of clients who are actively looking for someone to get the job done
- Everything from the contract to invoicing is automated
- You can get started easily even if you're a beginner
- You are protected and will always get your money when you've done the work
- The platform takes a fee for their services (at Upwork it's 20%)
- Many clients look for the absolute lowest rates with unreasonable expectations
- One bad rating could derail your chances with future clients
ON YOUR OWN
- You keep the full amount
- You can build your own website and present yourself and your services in whichever way you want
- The most successful freelancers seem to work on their own
- More freedom
- You have to sort out contracts and invoicing yourself
- You might have to chase up clients who are behind on payments
- You have to establish a system for finding and attracting clients
I'm curious what other freelancers chose and why.